CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Boy #2 Update

Ok, since most of the people who read this are teachers or are related to a teacher, I wanted to update on boy #2 that was mentioned in my previous post. I apologize in advance for how long this blog is! I thought you could appreciate what I am dealing with. So this boy that I mentioned as not being able to write his name and being a behavior problem... Well, the past 2 days have been consumed with him and his grandmother. She has appeared each morning this week and taken up most of my conference time talking about him. Yesterday she told the assistant principal and myself that he is ADHD but she decided not to keep him on meds. Don't you love that? So when he spent Tuesday under his desk part of the day, and was in the office by early afternoon for being so disruptive, I thought she'd get the hint that meds are a good thing for students. A previous teacher emailed me about him and her words, and I quote, were "Bless you, and good luck." Huh. That's not too encouraging. Turns out he made 20s in her class, and we're not so sure he should even be in 3rd grade.But, he ended up at a Louisiana school, and the school doesn't exist supposedly today. Today was the best day of all. I had two favorite moments... Moment #1. Let me take after my cousin Lori and give you a play by play conversation.
Grandmother: So yesterday didn't go too well,huh?
Me: No maam, he had a hard time with following directions and he refused to do any work.
Grandmother: Well, I thought about it a lot last night - it kept me up most of the night - and I came up with something finally.
(Let me interrupt here and say that I assume she will tell me that she realizes he does need to go back on meds or something similar. I'm way wrong...)
Grandmother: I think the solution is no chocolate milk.
Me: Excuse me? What do you mean?
Grandmother: I think that he needs only white milk at lunch, not chocolate or strawberry. The sugar in those is causing him to have these problems.
Me: (Trying to pick my jaw off the floor...) Um, maam, I don't think it's the milk. He was in a buddy room by 9:45 yesterday (last step before office) and that was long before he had any milk.
Grandmother: Really? Wow. I thought that was the problem.

Ok, so she told me the day before that she's not in denial to his issues. I'm having a hard time believing that. This child is severely ADHD, and can't write his name, and she thinks it's because he had chocolate milk 2 days at lunch? That has to be one of my favorite parent moments to date.

The other moment today was when a reading teacher tested his reading level. He couldn't pass a level 2 (they should be on a 22... Kinder kids can read a 12 or so). The story had balloons on the cover, and he thought it was about bears. He also doesn't know his ABCs. Um, Luke knows his ABCs.

So I know this was long, but I'm just in shock that this child has made it to a regular ed 3rd grade class. I think we may be working to get him emergency tested for special ed, and possibly put in 2nd grade. Suggestions teacher friends? I am at a loss!

5 comments:

Amy Covey said...

My comments:
1. When I saw the title of your post "Boy #2 Update", I thought you knew the sex of your baby and hadn't told me! :)
2. Ummm...watch out for that chocolate milk, it's dangerous stuff!
3. There are no records for this child AT ALL?!?!
4. He DEFINITELY does not belong in 3rd grade regular ed. I've had some low students, but nothing like him.
5. He has MAJOR issues - either ADHD or something else...and white milk isn't going to cure it!
6. GET SOME HELP! He either needs to be tested, put back in 2nd grade, or something. Yikes!
7. GOOD LUCK (and "Bless you"!)!!!!!

Brenda said...

God Bless You! I guess I better taper Carsyn off the chocolate milk- she'll be completely out of control at this rate! Definitely go for a referral and don't take no for an answer!!!

Anonymous said...

i'VE WORKED WITH PRESCHOOLERS WHO WOULD TEST BETTER AND THEY WERE IN THE SEVERE ROOMS. GOOD LUCK. ...WHERE DID I GET THE ALL CAPS??? MOM

~Lori said...

Me too, Amy, I thought that "boy #2" update meant Jill was having a boy!

Anonymous said...

It's so early in the year, the easiest thing for all is to go back to 2nd, but he still needs more interventions, as does G'ma. How supportive are your pricipal and counselor? Call in the troops & have a "come to Jesus meeting" with G'ma. Good luck!!!! (I also thought you were having a boy. Don't tease us like that.)