CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, September 15, 2008

#23

Well, I got student #23 today. Our limit is 22, and 3 of us now have 23 kids in third grade. Now we just have to wait a month and keep our numbers that high to get another teacher, which probably won't happen. Let me tell you about #23 though. He is coming to us from Alvin, TX because of Ike. We got 17 kids enrolled today that are staying at the boys and girls club near my school. I found out my new one is dyslexic and was in an anger management program. So now I have two very angry boys, and this one has even more reason to be angry since he's homeless. I think he may only be staying a week or two, but you never know what they'll find when they try to return home. Even with all his problems, I have to remember that he's still just a 9 year old boy who left everything and is staying in a strange city with strange people. He told me he's scared this his dogs are dead since they left them behind in their home. I asked what he missed the most and he said his football, so Luke and I made a stop on the way home and picked him up a new one. He's going to really struggle in my room, since I have so many kids and it's way above his learning level. But I will do the best I can just to try to keep him somewhat happy and not too angry. Keep everyone in your thoughts. Some of these kids came crying so hard, and some parents didn't want to leave their kids behind and were just so embarassed that they didn't have nice clothes to wear.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so sad. It really makes you realize how lucky we are. That is so sweet of you to get him a football. I know that you are going to make a huge difference in what is such a difficult time for him.

Anonymous said...

He's lucky to have you. It's so important to remember what he is coming from and why. Will pray for patience and wisdom for you. MOM

~Lori said...

Wow.How hard for a little 9 year old to have to deal with that.
Very nice of you to get him the football. =)

Brenda said...

that is really sad...these people just live on cots in a gymnasium somewhere. i had a katrina kid for two years who finally relived the whole story for me last year...it was horrible to see years later how hard it was for him to talk about it! he still hasn't gone home. isn't alvin the place marc interviewed while you sat in the car and cried because it sucked???