CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 17, 2008

Oprah's Big Give

Does anyone watch the show? I have heard negative reviews, but I like it because people are actually helping someone else for a change, not being selfish. Anyhow, I called dad from Houston last night and talked him through the process of recording it on my DVR for me, and I'm glad I did! I watched it tonight, and they were helping out two Texas elementary schools. The one school, Velasco, wanted a Christmas celebration because its kids are so economically disadvantaged and they wanted them all, for once, to get a gift. The neat part was that Velasco is in Freeport, TX, where Marc and I taught 5 years ago! I interviewed to teach and that school, and of course they loved me and wanted to hire me, (seriously, they did!) but I didn't like the principal at all. He seemed nice enough when he got a 50 inch TV though! I just thought how neat it was that I could really picture those kids, as that school was maybe 2 miles from the one I taught at, and I know the kids are quite poor - many are even from migrant families. Now I appreciate the efforts of the show even more as I can personally identify some of the people affected by unselfish generosity.

2 comments:

Jill said...

No pics from your Houston trip? I was thinking about you guys and hope it was a GREAT time for all three of you!

Anonymous said...

I haven't watched it(it relates to Amy's previous posting about crying easily, so I've avoided it), but there's a family in Sandusky I want to nominate for the Extreme Makeover Ohio show. There are 2nd and kd. sibs from my school whose parents are both incarcerated, for some time. Grandma was taking care of them. She was only 42(!) and died a couple of weeks ago. Now they're living with her 21-yr. old son, their uncle. He's finishing getting his ed. degree at BG. His fiance is a nurse in Fremont, so they came back to Sandusky to care for these kids. Can you imagine??