CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

My tribute to Grandma Davis


Every year around the holidays, I get homesick, especially since I haven't been to Ohio for a while this time of year. I know all my relatives think I'm crazy, but I really miss the snow and cold weather. I have a hard time getting into the holiday spirit here when it's 75 degrees still, and some days are just a little sad for me. I miss my Ohio Thanksgivings, with all the gravy, mashed potatoes, and playing games around the table. This year I've been thinking about Grandma Davis quite a bit as I look forward to Thanksgiving, as she is known for her perfect spread of everything from turkey to jello molds to the tray of olives and carrots that I always passed by. After all, who wants to fill up on carrots when there's all the other great foods you only get once or twice a year? And I especially remember going back into the fridge a few hours later and snagging a huge piece of cold white turkey. So in honor of Grandma's Thanksgivings which I will not be a part of again this year, I made banana bread, her cheeseball, and drank some eggnog. I always thought grandma had homemade eggnog just because she put it in a bowl and added whipped cream and nutmeg. Thanks for all the great memories of the holiday Grandma, and I wish everyone a happy Thanksgiving! We will be at Marc's family's house for an equally wonderful meal, especially when you add in the Oreo turkeys Luke and I made tonight to take!  

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's grandma!!! I love that woman. She is so cute. She makes me miss my grandma. I wish you were going to be here for thanksgiving also. 2 requests- I really would like the recipe for the cheeseball. I love cheeseballs. Second- what is an oreo turkey? I need some clarification. Love ya

Jill said...

Awww -- sweet, Jill! I am so glad that I got to meet your grandma at Mia's birthday party. :)

P.S. Post pics of the Oreo turkeys!

Anonymous said...

We will miss you at Thanksgiving-at-the-Lake,too! Have a wonderful day with Marc's family :)Aunt Barb

Jill said...

Last year Luke and I made pilgrim hats out of choc covered marshmallows and fudge stripe cookies. this year is turkeys out of one and half oreos, candy corn, and whoppers! i will share a picture tomorrow hopefully, but you can google oreo turkey and tons of links will pop up! vickie, i will share the cheeseball recipe -it is the best!

Anonymous said...

That's really sweet, Jill! You may not want to be here this year, although we'd sure love to see all of you. I'm the cook, and this is my rookie year. Think it's about time? Good thing "the coach" is here. I hope you all have a great Thanksgiving!
P.S. I had a class make sugar cookie turkeys - candy corn tails, m&m eyes and beak, red hot wattle, and pretzel legs. If we were the kind of fam. who used place cards, you could also write names on it. Next year!

Brenda said...

Man, I am hungry already. I shared that memory at school last week when my fourth graders had to write how they helped out on Thanksgiving. I simply told them I didn't help out...I wasn't allowed...only grandma and uncle sudsy were allowed...I just stayed out of the kitchen and waited.

A Fresh Wind Children's Ministry said...

I love this post Jill and you've shared some of my favorite memories of Grandma's Thanksgivings too =) Hope you guys have a great day!

Amy Covey said...

That's really sweet! I have been thinking about Thanksgiving and how I will be missing spending time with our family, too. I won't be able to be with them for Thanksgiving or Christmas and I hate that.

~Lori said...

Jill, just letting you know that we're all here (kyle, lisa, kara, john, jessica, your mom, and i) at the table looking at your blog....and eating from the relish tray. Go figure.
And we're all STILL at the kid table. :) Although I will say, Nancy's kid table isn't nearly as wobbly as Grandma's!
Happy Thanksgiving!!