CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, October 04, 2008

Sweet Berry Farms

Last Saturday was our family outing to Sweet Berry Farms, a strawberry/pumpkin patch about an hour from our house. We had never been there, but I found it online last year and wanted to check it out. The weather was beautiful, although it was over 90 so we ended up sunburned unexpectedly, but there was a breeze and thankfully I was over my allergy problems or that could have made me miserable. We started at the hayfield maze, opting for the child one, not the one in the shape of TX that someone said took them 4 hours! We spent about 20 minutes in it, with Luke leading the way and Mia hitching a ride on daddy's shoulders while carrying a long, green stem. Luke was so proud when he led us out of the maze! Next we headed to the hayride. We rode on a short hayride that took us to a large field of flowers. For $1 you could get a cup to fill with fresh cut flowers. I don't know right now what kind they are but sure someone out there can tell me from the photos. Some kind of gerber daisy maybe? Again, Luke was leading the way, picking out flowers for me to cut, and not even freaking out at all the bees around us. At this point, you could also pay $2 for Okra, but seeing as we don't like it, we skipped it. But somehow Mia ended up with a large, stolen piece of Okra when we climbed back on the hayride! This part of the hayride took us through trees and fields where we went right by goats and donkeys. I was sitting right behind the tractor, so by the end my legs were black from dirt! We took a short break and shared a homemade strawberry lemonade and then it was time for Luke to ride the horse. I really thought that after we paid for the ticket, he'd get up there and refuse to ride, but he surprised us by getting right on Puddin, the beautiful brown horse. He later said the horse ride was his favorite part of the day. Before leaving, we tried to take lots of photos on the hay and pumpkins. Luke was all about the photo opportunities but Mia was either too preoccupied or too tired to "pose" with Luke and the pumpkins. Before leaving, we bought some little gourds and some homemade strawberry ice cream.


We were tired, sunburned, and so dusty and dirty, but everyone seemed to have fun, even Marc. I loved seeing the kids, especially Luke, experience new things like the hayride and horse ride, and just them being happy little kids. We get so busy and tired at the beginning of the school year and all week long, so I am glad we made this day all about them. Now, I have to convince Marc to go back in the spring to pick strawberries! Not sure that I'll make jam like mom always did, but it would still be fun to go strawberry picking again!


There are way too many pictures for me to comment on them all, but they are pretty self explanatory!


This is the kiddie maze through the hay field






This picture just makes me laugh! Luke was too funny, chillin on the haystacks while Mia wanted nothing to do with photos!



Flower field where we cut our cup of flowers












2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, since I'm first, my guess is zinnias. Those are great pix, and it sounds like you had a fun "family memory" day, except you'll have to go back in a few years so Mia can remember it, too.

Anonymous said...

These are great and except for the way you are dressed, these could be taken in Ohio. I guess zinnias too. Glad you all had such a great day. MOM